Tuesday 19 June 2007

The foreign question

I'm all on for cultural diversity and I have great respect for any foreign person, where ever they're from who are willing to uproot from their homes and come to this shithole to try to earn a living, but what I can't stand and am finding increasingly frustrating is the amount of foreign workers being employed in customer service roles when they can't communicate effectively in English.

I've just got off the phone to the G.P.O (Gormless Pillocks Office) trying to trace a parcel that was posted to me. The conversation went thus:

Me: Hello?
Him: Unintelligble grunt, men zor de po.
Me: Oh, sorry I must have rang the wrong number....... click

Ring ring..

Him: Unintelligble grunt, men zor de po.
Me: Hello is this the G.P.O?
Him: yiieehh, gee pee ohhh men zor de po.
Me: Ahh OK..... DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?
Him: eeY'amm speekin eeglish
Me: WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
Him: I'm from Moolin Gyar.
Me: Oh good fuck, put me through to Peggy will you?

3 comments:

Barry said...

I sympathise with the language difficulties. As for guns in Switzerland, there's loads of them. Way back when I wrote a post on it but its due for another mention. I'm still scared to ask for things in shops!

National Disgrace said...

Defo sounds like he's from Mullingar alright... Oh, you meant he only LIVED there!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I was trying to transcribe phonetically the inane dribble of a semi-state gimp. I don't even think they have letters, let alone words for the sounds this guy was making. It was a best guess.