Friday 7 September 2007

Granny

I've blogged before about how I ended up buying the house that my paternal Grandmother was born in without knowing it, (those of you who haven't read about it can do so here) so it's probably about time I blogged a bit about her, my Grandmother.
A tall, elegant eighty nine year old lady with a hearty laugh and a razor sharp wit that not even a couple of recent strokes could dull, she has visited the house of her birth on a few occasions and I loved listening to her reminisce about my great grandparents as she pointed to the various locations around the house where each humourous incident occurred.
One of the hardest things that I ever saw my Granny having to cope with was the death of her eldest son nine years ago, my uncle Podger, a very acomplished musician who, during the course of his long musical career played with many famous bands including The Rolling Stones and Gladys Knight and the Pips but was probably most famous for his years on the Showband scene in Las Vegas in the 1960s and 70s.
The respect that was afforded to my Grandmother at Podger's funeral by people such as the Dubliners and Paddy Cole was astounding and it was as I was helping her into the funeral car and Joe Dolan came over to help me with her that I realised that this lady was very special.
Always fond of family get togethers, sing songs and what not, her favourite singer was Pavorotti, who passed away yesterday 6th Sept at 4am. I'd love to kow how she felt about that but I never will because forty two minutes later she too passed away. At least she had good company for her onward journey.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Sympathy at this time.

I hope the rafters will ring at her wake!

Jason said...

Cheers Grannymar, they already did last night.

Baino said...

So sorry B3N but as you say, she's in good company. I'm not even a love of opera but Pavarotti's passing stirred me a little, he made Nessun Dorma his own. You were lucky to have had your gran to tell you tales about the house, make sure you tell your kids tales about your gran. Good wishes to you and yours.

Bock the Robber said...

I have no comment to make about that. It's a private family thing, but well done for telling a bit of the story.

Anonymous said...

Hi B3N......so sorry to hear about your granny. Mands

Baino said...

Hey B3N . . you given up blogging?

Baino said...

You OK young man? Lost the urge or something wrong?