Friday 10 August 2007

Emotional Wrecks

I heard a new word last week. Emo. Apparently it describes a teenage clan in where members are purported to be emotionally disturbed and scratch (I say scratch coz they don't actually cut anything) their wrists in an attempt to show that they are so fucked up they have tried to commit suicide (it has social status in the group). They are the new Cureheads and Goths but instead they listen to My Chemical Romance (now I get the wrist scratching).
Now I don't have kids so I can't say for sure but I was a teenager (Curehead/Goth) so I think I have some idea. Has teenage rebellion come to a head now because we (the older generation, used loosely of course) have become so apathetic to their cause because we've been through it, that they have to beef it up a bit more and get more extreme with their rebellion, or are they short of the one thing I got when I was a kid, when I did anything stupid, and that was 'Le Bon Juttering'?
In my day we just talked about how miserable we were, hung our heads to the side clasped our hands together between our knees and wobbled, and that was how we danced.

'I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now.'

6 comments:

Cycles Goff said...

Keep up, Nipple, this is old news. Pissed me and my Curehead sensibilities off too.

I'm just waiting for the Chemo movement to kick off, where they shave all their hair, with particular emphasis on head and eyebrows, and go around vomiting all the time.

Six months or so, I reckon..

Baino said...

Sad thing is they're the poor little rich kids who have a mega sulk because daddy won't replace their mobile phone or buy them a car (Now that's teen angst for ya).

They're the new mall rats with their Calvin Klein boxers protruding from their low slung jeans which barely touch their skinny asses! We've even got an Emo boutique where I live . . .they make a fortune.

Jason said...

Cheers Gimme, I must go out and by a copy of Smash Hits sometime soon. I used to think that I was well up on my music.

Hey Baino, surely you mean an Emu boutique?

Cycles Goff said...

You knoiw Smash Hits closed down last year, right?

You're just putting it on now..

Jason said...

Oh No! I really need to brush up, honestly Gimme. Is there a Current Teenage Music for Dummies around anywhere?

Anonymous said...

I only found out about that last night too! I'd been wondering what kids were doing all wearing stripes all of a sudden.

Stripes? Hello?